Wednesday 30 November 2011

#77 Have a Flying Lesson

This is definitely something that I HAD to try because of my Dad.

When I was younger, I always loved hearing about my Dads adventures of when he was younger. Actually, that is a lie, I STILL love hearing all about his adventures! He is a wonderful story teller, and it is actually amazing what you find out when you sit down and listen to people who have had more life experience then you. 

Anyway, once such story, involved him almost crashing a plane during one of his flying lessons. 

"Hmm," I think, "flying lessons sounds like fun."

On the 14th of November 2009, a good friend, Clarice, and I went to Camden to experience it! After navigating the plane "to that shed over there," and "to those mountains over there" plus barrel rolls and loop-de-loops (controlled by my instructor) I came back from defying gravity with a great desire to become a pilot. Although, I would probably need a plane better suited to those with smaller stature, because I definitely could not reach the foot pedals that controlled the rudder....

But then I thought, "maybe a plane isn't the aircraft that I want to be flying..."

Clarice and I were so pumped from our flight that we quickly planned a holiday to Byron Bay so that we could tick off another, yet similar thing from our list.

On the 19th of December 2009 we were flying a chopper... of course!


It was way more technical then flying a plane. I got to use the cyclic to steer the chopper, the collective to ascend and descend, and more foot pedals (that I could actually reach this time!) to control the direction of the chopper.

And, as you probably guessed, I got to as Georgia (my co-pilot! Or instructor, however you want to look at it) HEAPS of questions about how choppers actually work. So not only did I have my lesson and tick it off my list, I also learnt a lot too!

Out of the two I now would prefer to have my chopper license. I know you can go further distances in a plane, but there is just something about the Bell 47 that I flew that I fell in love with!

Getting a chopper license is on the list.

But having a flying lesson - #77 DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment